Top food blogs

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Belishi


"Belishi" is another type of fried samusa, which is originated from tatar cuisine. I must say that I tried many different recipes, but I never liked the result much. Recently I finally found the recipe of an ideal "Belishi"s. They turned out to be so soft and fluffy, soooo tasty! I decided to share the recipe with you. In original recipe the filling with meat is uncooked, and it says you must put a little meat in each "Belsihi". But I like "meaty belishi"s, so I decided to fry the meat filling beforehand, as in this way I can put more filling in "Belishi" without any fear of uncooked meat:) And one another secret: fry them over medium heat, if they will get brown very fast, then slightly reduce the heat and continue frying.
Ingredients:
1.5 cup of warm milk
1 sachet of dried yeast (30 gr)
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
50 gr of butter
3-3/1 cup of plain flour
300 gr of minced meat (preferably lamb)
2 onions, small, peeled and chopped well
1 tbsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of cumin
half a tsp of fresh ground pepper
Salt to taste
50 gr of oil
Another oil for frying "Belishi"s
Heat up 50 gr of vegetable oil and fry minced meat and spices, after 4-5 min add in onions and salt. Fry until onion is transparent, then set aside.
First of all mix yeast, sugar and warm milk. Cover and let it stand for 10 min. It must bubble well.
In another dish, mix well flour, salt and butter, gradually add in milk mixture. Form a soft dough, but not too soft. It must be a little sticky. At the end work with slightly oiled hands and knead it well. If it is too sticky, then add up a little more flour.
Cover and put in warm place for about 1.5-2 hours.
After dough is ready, oil your working surface and divide the dough in 20-25 pieces.
Flatten up with hands, put in 1-1.5 tbsp of filling and gather the dough around the meat pinching it well.








I prepared 7 at ones, and while frying them, prepared the other 7 and so on.
Fry them until light brown in one side, then turn and fry another side. Be sure to fry an open side first.

Cooking oil must cover at least half of "Belishi"s.

In frying process, put ready "Belishi"s in a bowl and cover them. At the end, serve with fresh sour cream, as you will put some in the middle of "Belishi" and just enjoy it! You will love it!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

5 comments:

  1. These were my favorite from the breakfast buffet at the Hotel Malika Kheivak in Khiva. Thank you once again for the recipe. now I get to make them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love belishi. My family is from Russia and my grandmother would always make belishi and I would help her. She recently died and I made them by myself for the first time - they didn't come out exactly like hers but were very similar, I'll just have to keep trying to get mine to be like hers. I never cook the meat beforehand though, I think putting the raw meat in the dough allows it to be more juicy after fully cooked. Also my grandmother's recipe is a little different from yours - she uses sunflower oil instead of butter. I was pleasantly surprised to find a belishi recipe on a food blog -- I have never seen it on a food blog before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocadopesto, everyone has it's own "Belishi" recipe and this recipe was one of my favorite recipe, as it is puffy, soft and a little crunchy outside. I cook meat, because I want to put more filling inside. If you want to put raw meat, you have to be careful not to put too much filling, as meat can be under cooked. I mentioned here, that usually meat is uncooked. I myself and my family, love "Belishi" s with more of tasty and juicy filling:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made it! Loved it! Thank you!
    A.N.

    ReplyDelete