Top food blogs

Monday, June 13, 2011

"Ptichye moloko" (Marshmallow cake)


I am familiar with this cake as long as I remember myself. It was very popular then and now it is still loved by many peoples. I really don't know where this cake was originated from, I think from Russian or Ukrainian cuisine. If someone knows, you can leave a comment. I love this cake because it is really easy to make, relatively fast and heavenly delicious!!! In original recipe the base cake is made just like regular sponge cake as I made for "Kiyevskiy tort" (fluffy cake), but I really don't want to waste anything, so I make slightly different cake using only egg yolks, as egg whites are used for marshmallow layer.
As I baked this cake a long time ago,I don't have many pictures, so I promise to post some more pictures later, when I will be baking it in these days.
Ingredients:
for marshmallow layer
5 egg whites
1 very full cup of sugar
1/3 cup of water
2,5 tbsp of gelatin powder
90 ml of water
Half a tsp of vanilla powder or 2 tsp of vanilla essence
For cake
5 egg yolks
1 cup of sugar
100 grams of cream
100 grams of butter, melted
100 ml of milk
1.5 cup of plain flour
1 tsp of baking powder
For light syrup
1 cup of water
3 tbsp of sugar
(for syrup just mix sugar with very hot water until completely dissolved)
For glazing
250 grams of chocolate or
3 tbsp of cocoa powder
3 tbsp of sugar
5 tbsp of milk
1 tsp of butter
For the cake beat egg yolks with sugar until they will be light in color. Add in cream, milk and melted butter, mix well. Mix in baking powder and flour. If it is too runny add in more flour, if it is too thick add in milk (it depends on how big are eggs). Bake in preheated oven until it is ready- insert toothpick and when it will come out clean, the cake is ready. Take it out and let it cool.
For marshmallow, mix gelatin with 90 ml of water and set aside for 20 min. After, heat over double boiler until gelatin is completely dissolved, don't boil!
Pour 1/3 cup of water over sugar and bring to boil over high heat, simultaneously begin to whip egg whites until stiff peaks using an electric mixer. Check the syrup- pour half a tsp of a syrup into the ice cold water and try to make a ball with your two fingers. If it will easily turns to a soft ball, then it is ready. Now, with a running mixer start to pour the syrup with small portions over egg whites, be careful, syrup is very hot. Beat for 5 min more after you use up the syrup. Now start adding gelatin, also pouring it by small portions. Beat for 2 min more. Add in half a tsp of vanilla and mix well.
Slice the cake in two horizontally , making one part thicker than another. Place thick part in plate, put the circle of the spring form over. Sprinkle with a light syrup and pour in marshmallow. Put in fridge for about 20 min or until marshmallow layer will be completely set. Sprinkle syrup over the other thin part of cake and place over the marshmallow layer. Again put in fridge for 15 min.
Run the knife around the edges of the cake and take out spring form. Melt chocolate over double boiler and evenly pour over cake or make chocolate frosting- finely mix cocoa powder with sugar, add in milk and mix again. Put over high heat and bring to boil. Once it comes to boil, lower the heat and cook constantly stirring until it will get thick. At the end add in butter, take from heat and mix well. Pour over cake while it is hot. Let it cool and then put the cake in fridge for about 30 min before serving.
You can also decorate the cake according to your taste.
Marshmallow part also can be made with different taste. If you add 1 cup of fruit puree or chopped fruits, it will be fruit marshmallow, if you pour in 100 grams of melted chocolate, it will be chocolate marshmallow, if you add in 100 grams of condensed milk mixed with 50 grams of butter, it will taste like creamy-vanilla marshmallow. All the additions must be added right after the gelatin.
Enjoy your yummy treat!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

10 comments:

  1. That's lovely. You know, it strikes me as very similar to an American cake called Boston cream pie, which is a yellow sponge cake in two layers, with a custard between, glazed with chocolate. Here is a picture where you can see the inside : http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/BostonCreamPie.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow, that American cake looks delicious! I love custard pies. "Ptichye moloko" has totally different taste though,it is more fluffy, airy, tender, just like moist marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can u plz tell what is gelatin and where I can get it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gelatin is used for cooking many different jelly type food and it is made out of the collagen found in bones, mostly cow bones. If you're vegetarian you can use agar agar instead of gelatin. Gelatin helps jellying of watery substances. You can find it in any grocery stores. Often it is placed near baking powder, soda and other this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. which cream you are using? sour cream or heavy cream?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can use sour, light or heavy cream, all will work well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Malika! me and my friend just just got to your bolg and we find it amazing...all your food looks great and I bet it tastes even better!
    we found you looking for reciepe of the cake we once tried during Russian week cousine in Hotel Kempinski near Estepona, Spain. It was some years ago but I bielieve the name was Duke's ruins, you have something called "Graffskiye razvalini"which can be the same thing. would you please tell us how to make it, I should be able to recognize it just by ingredients. Best Regards! Agnieszka&Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agnieszka&Carlos, surely I can make a post about "Grafskiye razvalini" it is one of my favorite cakes too:) and thank you for such a sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Malika! Your cake seems to be delicious and I really would like to make it for my family. Since I am vegetarian I would like to replace gelatin by agar agar? Do you think it could work? How many grams of agar agar do you think I should use?
    Yours truly,
    Anouchik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anouchik, thank you for your question. If honestly I have never used agar agar, but I know that many people use it instead of gelatin. Try to google and find out the quantity, as I am not sure about the amount. As far as I know its 1.5-2 teaspoons of agar agar for 1 cup of liquid, but again I am not sure for 100 %:)
      Sorry if I couldn't help:) But you're always welcome to my blog!

      Delete